Monday, June 9, 2008

The Adventures of Minnie the Pug

Minnie has led an adventurous life since the moment we picked her up at this little house in the middle of nowhere Indiana. She was raised in this house with a monkey, several other animal species, and a woman whose idea of stylish wardrobe included a t-shirt that read 'If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you' (or something to that effect). She was the last of the litter to be bought and I still believe we got the runt of that litter. She has had parasites, rashes, seizures, and a mysterious limp - and she is only 2 years old. She also now barks at her food bowl if it gets to close to Ozzie's, if there is food behind the bowl, or if the bowl makes too much noise as she nudges it across the floor. We lovingly call her our special needs dog.

Her latest adventure basically gave me an immediate heart attack. I was working at Mike's sister-in-law Nancy's house during the day since we would be heading to Ashley's graduation that evening. We drove up to Winthrop Harbor that morning with the dogs in tow and Mike headed off to work. The dogs enjoyed playing with Snickers (or rather torturing the poor pup) and I managed to get some work done. Nancy and Ashley headed off for various hair, nail, and shopping excursions and I subsequently let the dogs outside to roam and do their business. Not 5 minutes later, I look outside to check on the dogs and I see Ozzie standing by the edge of their above ground pool looking down at a hapless, sad, and floating Minnie. She managed to get herself into the pool and on top of the solar cover (that looks like bubble wrap). I screamed and ran and was basically prepared to jump into the pool to save my little girl - but then thought wiser about it and realized that that level of dramatics wasn't really necessary. I was able to pull the cover towards me with Minnie aboard and pull her out. She then ran towards the house like nothing was amiss. After my shaking subsided, I continued to ponder how in the world she even ended up on the cover. Minnie is never one to jump in, walk on, or go near anything she isn't sure of - that is more of Ozzie's thing. And how she ended up safely on the cover and not in the bottom of the pool I will never understand. There are theories that Ozzie nudged her in with the hopes that he would be the only dog once again.

I am sure there will be many more Minnie adventures to come - it just seems to be in her nature. But hopefully the next ones do not threaten to stop my heart again!

4 comments:

MomFagan said...

Is this the same pool that claimed the life of another pet? Could Minnie have been looking for spirits????

Stacy said...

It is indeed the same pool - and yes maybe she was ghost hunting!

Anonymous said...

Can pugs swim?

shamrock said...

that is hysterical!