I admit that before this past year, I don't know that I thought so much about breast cancer. Sure I am a woman and it should always be in the back of my mind somewhere but there was always this invincibility aspect in that nothing bad could ever happen to me. When I heard that Uncle Ken was diagnosed with breast cancer, I thought that while I know it is possible, it just didn't make sense. You really don't hear all that much about men getting breast cancer. My subsequent little scare in January made me even more aware that I am not as invincible as I might think. I am much more aware of any changes going on in my body. I think because of these 2 instances, the Avon 2 day walk carried even greater importance and value.
I know Mom has done the walk a few times and I always thought there was no way I could do that - walking 5 miles alone in the Walk and Roll was always just enough for me. But I was determined to do what I thought would be impossible. I can say that the walk was challenging, rewarding, emotional, and uplifting. I was amazed at the number of people walking and even more so how the overall event was put together. Although where was Reese Witherspoon???? The final 3 miles on Sunday were the most challenging - I really didn't think I would make it. But as I saw 2 women who clearly were going through cancer treatments or in the remission stages, I realized that if they could go through those painful and difficult steps to beat the disease, I could take the painful steps needed to get to the finish line. It made it that much more rewarding to cross that line and see the supportive, happy, and cheering folks along the way.
During the walk, we all laughed about the many names for breasts that one could ever come up with however I was also aware that it was very female centric. Wearing our 'We Ken Do It' shirts on Sunday and Mom travelling around with the Ken doll hanging outside her backpack prompted a lot of people to ask questions about what the doll and shirt was in reference to. I am glad that we were able to bring a little awareness to folks who may not realize that this isn't just a woman's disease.
I am incredibly proud of my mom and sisters for all that they did in advance of and during that weekend. I think the Avon foundation does great work and the grants they provided because of the money raised can only be positive steps towards treatment and maybe one day complete eradication of this disease.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am so glad we could experience this together, it is something you have to participate in to truly understand. Each walk I have done has given me rewards and a sense of feeling as if I was doing something to make a difference. And this time it's true, it seems as if our mission became to make sure people are aware that men get breast cancer too. In our small way we did that, and may the word spread. Thanks for committing and doing this with me, I will remember it always.
I'm proud of you, Stacy - I had such a great time and was glad to share part of it with you.
Post a Comment