Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Yikes

The anxiousness, terror, excitement, and fear of the unknown has clearly set in as the countdown to Layla's arrival continues. I have made it pretty clear to many folks that I am officially over this pregnancy thing. It's not cute, fun, adorable or even any fun anymore. The swelling has resulted in my precious shoe collection gathering dust and I have resorted to wearing a lot of flip flops....not very professional. Heartburn is in full swing and I have a fondness now for Tums. And to top it off, my very pregnant brain forgot to remind me that I have not seen the sun in vast quantities and as a result my pale Irish skin decided to cook while watching Mike's softball games on Sunday afternoon. To say I am uncomfortable is a pretty big understatement. But to many, the fact that I am even complaining when I am taking part in the creation of a human being is preposterous. So to them I say too bad - I am going to complain because I can!

Layla continues to be very active and reminding me often that she is there. It is comforting to feel her moving even if she takes a pretty good whack every now and again. My doctor has said that she is head down so she is starting to prepare herself for the big day. I start weekly appointments beginning the week after next so it is really starting to sink in that this can really happen any day now. I will start working from home on June 29th so my anxiety over the embarrassment of my water breaking while I am at my desk downtown is minimized. Yes I know that really only happens in movies but I have learned that with me anything is possible. At least now I will be at home having anxiety over the fact that I may end up taking a cab to the hospital because Mike will be far away in the arctic circle!! (Too dramatic??)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep complaining! It just convinces me to commit to a life of aunthood, rather than motherhood!

I'm so excited for you - I hope these last few weeks fly by.

MomFagan said...

Hey, it can hardly be called the Artic circle at this moment, it is sunny(for the moment), humid(for the rest of the summer probably) and downright summer like (at least right now, as I write this) (but, really, I should be in the garage building an arc, we are clearly going to need one soon)
I am so excited to meet this little girl, we are holding our breath until she graces us with her presence. As for all the other stuff.....it will be a dim memory the first time you hold her and she wraps her fingers around yours......you'll be glad you endured it.

shamrock said...

Get ready....July 2nd is just around the corner...hahaha. I am so excited for my niece to be here!!!!!