Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Layla - 3 weeks old

Today marks Layla's 3 week birthday and we have definitely had some struggles as well as some fairly easy moments with her. She seems to have my disposition in that she is often impatient but then quite content when she gets her way. She is eating well and even sleeping fairly well at night. These days the nights are easier than that days as she just doesn't seem to be very happy at times. She tends to cry for no reason and everything we try doesn't seem to work. But we keep trying new things hoping that something will click. I marvel at her every day though and find myself just staring at her beautiful face wondering how something so gorgeous could come from me.

Layla's arrival into this world was certainly dramatic for both mother and baby. My blood pressure issues continued for several weeks towards the end of the pregnancy which ultimately led to the decision to induce. The guilt I felt in that I knew Layla was likely to be born on Allison's birthday was somewhat short lived when I knew that this was the best thing for myself and for Layla. The induction and the labor was very swift moving and as is normal for me in every day life, things moved really fast...almost too fast it seemed for Layla. After very few pushes, my little daughter entered the world but not without some scary moments. She needed assistance to breathe and all I remember seeing are a lot of people working on her and my nurse being very reassuring that she was ok. Luckily I was somewhat dazed and out of it to really be able to take it all in and realize what was going on. But Layla figured it all out and got to breathing on her own. A short visit to the NICU and she was back with me. I spent the next 24 hours hooked up to magnesium sulfate to help regulate my blood pressure so I was limited somewhat in the time I could spend with her. But she was there in the room and Mike was able to take to his new role as daddy really quickly. When I was finally discharged, I had all the feelings of excitement to be leaving and apprehension as to what Mike and I would be faced with as we drove away from the hospital. It has been a roller coaster since coming home with trying to figure it all out and at the same time just marvel at our precious little girl. I am feeling back to normal these days after about a week of the baby blues. I would cry at just about everything for no reason and feel utterly helpless. Mike was unsure as to how to help me but he was supportive in every possible way. I think that our relationship has grown even stronger....I am amazed at how he taken to fatherhood. We are truly a team and every day, things get just a little bit easier....until Layla decides to change it all up.

4 comments:

MomFagan said...

Glad you realize Layla is in control now, and you've given over to that. And as far as having something so beautiful come from you, why, it's obvious, just look in the mirror.....Thank you for blessing our family with this gorgeous little girl, we all look forward to watching her grow and change.

MomFagan said...

You got me on my knees, Layla.

Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Don't ever wonder how something so gorgeous could come from you. That's a no-brainer.

Kelly said...

I never knew how much fun it would be to be an aunt or how much I would love her from the second I laid eyes on her.